Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart


Freq asked questions


  1. How do I change the address on my Ham radio License?
  2. Can you give me information on getting a vanity call?
  3. How much does it cost to get my license?
  4. Does the w7orc club have VE testing sessions?
  5. Can I pre register for my test?
  6. What do I need to bring to take my test
  7. Can I find out the VE's in Wa?
  8. How do I find an ARRL testing session?
  9. How do I renew my license
  10. I Passed my test! What now?

Web site

  1. How do I become a member of this web site

Club Meetings

  1. Do I need to be a club member to come to the meetings?
  2. When are the meetings?
  3. What time do the meetings start?
  4. Are the meetings FREE?
  5. Do the members meet any other time besides the regular monthly meetings/
  6. W7ORC


  1. Do I need to be a licensed Ham to belong to the club

general information

  1. where can I learn HAM SPEAK
  2. What do I say when someone asks me what HAM RADIO is?
  3. How to Change the Windows Clock to Military Time
  4. Can I Use My Ham Radio on Public Safety Frequencies?
  5. What does TRAFFIC mean?

OSL information

  1. How do I send money to the Bureau?


  1. How can I get in touch with the Repeater coordinator in Eastern WA?

Bao Feng

  1. Can I disable the transmitter on Monitor Only frequencies?



How do I change the address on my Ham radio License?

How to Change an Address my Ham Radio License

As a ham radio operator, you know your services are at times needed by the FCC. That's why it's important to quickly update your contact information, including your address, as it changes. The FCC makes this quick and painless for amateur radio operators, offering two convenient methods to change your address. The quickest method is using the FCC's online system, but you can also change your address by mail (or in person).

Read more: How to Change an Address for a Ham Radio License |


Changing Your Address Online


Access the FCC's Universal Licensing System (see Resources). Log in using your FCC Registration Number and your system password.


Click on "Work on This License" on the right sidebar, and then select "Update." The system will ask you a series of questions; answer them and click "Continue."

Type your new address into the form on the Licensee page. Click "Continue" to proceed to the Review page. On the Review page, double-check the information for accuracy. If you need to edit anything, click "Edit." Click "Continue to Certify" when you are ready to submit your change of address.


Enter your first and last name on the digital signature page, and then click "Submit Application." You will be redirected to a confirmation screen; print this page, or write down the confirmation number for your records.

Changing Your Address by Mail


Obtain FCC Form 605. You can download from the FCC's website (see Resources) or you can request the form by mail. To request the form by mail, call 1-800-418-3676.


Complete the application entirely, using your new address, not your old one. Under the Application Purpose section, choose "AU" (Administrative Update). Sign and date the form.


Mail FCC Form 605 to:


1270 Fairfield Road

Gettysburg, PA 17325


Can you give me information on getting a vanity call?

Yes. There is a link here on this web site under links for vanity calls and follow this link here and it will take you to a post on how i got my vanity call. hope this helps.


How much does it cost to get my license?

The ARRL VEC Exam Fee for 2013 is $15.00 (for one attempt at all three license elements). If a candidate fails an element at an exam session and wants to re-test for the same element, an additional fee will be required.


Does the w7orc club have VE testing sessions?

Yes we do. We are getting a group of VE's prepared to give tests to get your license or to upgrade, with a 20 to 30 day notice of when you are ready to test or upgrade. We also will try to get the sessions close to where you live so it will cut the cost of travel and if you can not travel we will try to bring the test session to you.:)


Can I pre register for my test?

Yes follow this link and fill out the 605 form on line print it and email it to us [email protected] or snail mail it or just bring it to the tesiting session


What do I need to bring to take my test

Follow this link and it show exactly what you need to bring to the test.


Can I find out the VE's in Wa?

yes, and also how many tests they have given, follow the link below


How do I find an ARRL testing session?

Hi, follow the link below:


How do I renew my license


Common Filing Task: Renewing a License

No Fee Charged

Filing Electronically using the Universal Licensing System

Filing Manually

You may use FCC Form 605 (edition date of July 2005 or later) to apply for renewal of your amateur operator/primary station license grant, including those station license grants within the grace period. Use purpose RO (Renew Only) for this. If it is necessary to also modify your name or mailing address shown on your amateur operator/primary station license grant, use purpose RM (Renew/Modify). If you are not requesting a call sign change, file the Main form only. (Club or military recreation stations need to file through a Club Station Call Sign Administrator. See the Public Notice on CSCSAs (text). RACES stations are no longer being renewed.)

You may receive a license expiration notification from an entity, but you are not required to use its services. File for renewal 30-60 days, but no more than 90 days, before your license expiration date. 47 CFR Section 97.21, provides that when your application for renewal has been received by the FCC on or before the license expiration date, your operating authority is continued until the final disposition of your application. If your license expires, you may apply for renewal of the license for another term during a two-year filing grace period. The application document must be received by the FCC on or before the end of the grace period. Unless and until the license is renewed, no amateur operator or station operating privileges are conferred. Applications received after the grace period has ended cannot be granted.

Section 1.913(f) requires that all applications, other than applications that must be filed through a VEC, may be submitted manually to the address below in number 11.

Until Vanity licenses become renewable, there is no fee for renewing your amateur operator/primary station license grant.

Filing Electronically using the Universal Licensing SystemYou may renew your license through the Universal Licensing System (ULS) at any time within 90 days of the expiration date for the license and up to two years after the license expires.

To renew, go to the ULS Home, select Online Filing, and follow the instructions below.

Login to the ULS License Manager with your FCC Registration Number (FRN).

From your License At A Glance page, choose the Renew link in the right hand menu called Work on this License. When your license is within the renewal period of 90 days before the expiration date until the expiration date, or within the 2 year grace period allowed there after the Renew link will appear. If your license is not eligible for renewal the link will not appear.

On the Select Updates page, review the licensee information displayed beneath the table of license information. If any of the data is missing or out of date you must update it. Click on the box to the left of the Licensee Information heading to insert a checkbox and select it.

When ready click Continue.

Answer the questions on the Applicant Questions page, and click Continue when ready.

On the Licensee Information page, review and update all of your licensee information. Make any corrections that are necessary.

On the Summary page review the information you have entered. If you wish to make additional changes, click the Edit button next to the section of your application you wish to Edit. You will be able to return to that page of the application. Make the desired change and select the Return to Summary button.

When ready to submit your update to the Commission, choose the Continue to Certify button.

After reading the certification, enter your first and last names in the boxes at the bottom of the page. You MUST sign the application. When finished choose the Submit Application button.

From the ULS Confirmation screen, we recommend you print a copy of your application and/or the Confirmation screen itself from your web browser.

Note: The address and contact information you have entered in CORES registration will not be automatically associated with your licenses. To change the address or other contact information on your license, you must update your information in ULS or submit Form 605 manually.

Filing ManuallyYou may alternatively submit a paper FCC Form 605 (edition date of July 2005 or later) to


1270 Fairfield Road

Gettysburg, PA 17325-7245

OR, you may deliver the form in person to:


1280 Fairfield Road

Gettysburg, PA 17325

You can request forms by calling (800) 418-FORM (3676), download the form or call our Fax Information system at (202) 418-0177.


I Passed my test! What now?

I Passed my test! What now?

New License:

If you have just passed the tests for a brand new Amateur Radio License, congratulations! Your information from the testing session will be entered into the FCC licensing database in just a few days, under normal circumstances. As soon as your name and new call sign appear in the database, you may begin to use your new license and call sign. You do not have to wait for a physical license document to arrive at your mailing address.

check here:

or here:

Once your name and call appear in the database, your printed license document will be prepared and mailed to your home address (or whatever other address you may have put on your application) in a week or so. It should arrive within 3 weeks of mailing.

To find out if your new license is ready, you can look at the FCC database via the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) main site. Go to , enter your name and city/state, and the system will search the database and return your new call sign, if it has been issued. If nothing comes back, don't despair, it just means that your data hasn't been processed yet. You can also look at to see if your new license appears. They update their information daily, and sometimes their database servers are easier to use than the FCC system.

Sometimes, due to various reasons, it can take us a few days to get the data uploaded. If you are curious, simply send us an email (look further down on this page for a link), and we will try to find out if your application has been processed, and if not, when it is scheduled to be run. Please give us at least a week before sending in a query, however. Please remember that this work is done by volunteers, and sometimes delays occur (they do occasionally have to pay attention to things other than ham radio, you know!)

While you are at the ARRL site, take a moment to look at some of the other information to be found there. Their main address is . We urge every ham to join the ARRL. It is the only national organization that has an established presence in Washington, and represents Amateur Radio world-wide. The league is a valuable resource, offering instructional (how to) books, dozens of different member services, and the national ham radio magazine: QST.

Temporary operating authority:

If you have just upgraded your license by passing additional elements, and if the elements you have completed will result in your having additional operating privileges, you may begin using them immediately! You do not have to wait until we have sent the upgrade data to the FCC.

You will notice on your CSCE (Certificate of Successful Completion of Examination) form that one of the options under "Operating Privilege" has been circled. Also, at the bottom of the CSCE form, is a brief explanation of how to identify your station. You should use this special identification procedure until your license has been modified, and the FCC database shows your new privileges.

As in the case of a new license, you will receive a printed license document in the mail within several days to perhaps 3 weeks, depending on how busy the FCC is, and whether or not other factors (such as a change of call sign) are involved. You can go to either the FCC call sign database, at or check via a commercial call sign server, such as .


If you have other questions about Amateur Radio in general, or specific questions about the testing program, you may send an e-mail to us

Web site


How do I become a member of this web site

You must belong to the Okanogan County Amateur Radio Club, which is easy to do.

All you need to do is have an interest in becoming an Amateur radio operator and get your license. Check out our calender for testing dates and check out ARRL for help in studing for the test.

For more information on becoming a Ham check out this web site and read the Getting Started Page for where to get help.

Club Meetings

  1. Do I need to be a club member to come to the meetings?
    NO, everyone is welcome at the regular monthly meetings
  2. When are the meetings?
    The meetings are every 3rd Wednesday of the month.
  3. What time do the meetings start?
    The monthly meetings start at 6:30 local time
  4. Are the meetings FREE?
    Yes they are free always, we are a non-profit club....
  5. Do the members meet any other time besides the regular monthly meetings/
    Yes we do, as of Feb. 2013 we try to meet every Sat morning at 10:30. We post where we are going to meet on the calender on this web site and on the face book page. we are looking for a regular place to meet at this time..Every one of course is welcome to come join in we call it the koffee klatsh.. We think the place will be Micky's on Main street in Omak :)


  1. Do I need to be a licensed Ham to belong to the club

    Yes, to belong to our club you need to be a currently licensed Amateur radio Operater.

general information


where can I learn HAM SPEAK

Hi here is a lik to a site that has done all the research for us.. a must see for every ham..ORIGIN OF HAM SPEAK - FACT, LEGENDS AND MYTHS??Compiled By AC6V From The Internet and Other Unreliable Sources


What do I say when someone asks me what HAM RADIO is?

I have posted a document in the documents page here print it and have a few on hand to give folks that ask "what is HAM RADIO", and show a bit of interest.


How to Change the Windows Clock to Military Time

How to Change the Windows Clock to Military Time


1 Click the "Start" button on your desktop's toolbar. If you haven't changed the default settings, it is located in the bottom left-hand corner of the computer screen.

2 Using your mouse, highlight the option that says "Settings" and then move your mouse to the right to highlight "Control Panel." Click once on the "Control Panel" button. This opens the "Control Panel" folder window containing a list of icons, including but not limited to "Add/Remove Hardware," "Date and Time," "Display," and "Regional and Language Options."

3 Double-click the "Regional and Language Options" button. This opens the "Regional and Language Options" window.

4 Click the "Customize..." button next to the drop-down menu in the "Regional Options" tab. This opens the "Customize Regional Options" window.

5 Click the "Time" tab in the "Customize Regional Options" window. The "Time" tab is the third tab at the top of the window.

6 In the drop-down menu next to "Time format:" click on the down arrow to bring up a list of options. Using your mouse, highlight any of the options starting with a capital H and select one by clicking the left mouse button. The formats beginning with a capital H represent 24-hour military standard time.

7 Click the "Apply" button in the bottom right-hand corner of the "Customize Regional Options" window. Your computer's clock (located at the bottom right-hand corner of your screen) should display the new format.

8 Click the "OK" button at the bottom of the "Customize Regional Options" window and then click the "OK" button at the bottom of the "Regional and Language Options" window. Alternatively, you can also exit the windows by clicking the "X" button at the top right-hand corner of each window.

Read more:

Read more:


Can I Use My Ham Radio on Public Safety Frequencies?

Can I Use My Ham Radio on Public Safety Frequencies? Updated

Posted on 22 May 2015 by K0NR — 10 Comments ↓

This is an update to one of my most popular posts.

anytone radioWe have quite a few licensed radio amateurs that are members of public safety agencies, including fire departments, law enforcement agencies and search and rescue. Since they are authorized users of those public safety channels, they often ask this question:

Can I use my VHF/UHF ham radio on the fire, police or SAR channel?

It is widely known that many amateur radios can be modified to transmit outside the ham bands. The answer to this question used to be that amateur radio equipment cannot be used legally on public safety channels because it is not approved for use under Part 90 of the FCC Rules. (Part 90 covers the Private Land Mobile Radio Services.) The only option was to buy a commercial radio with Part 90 approval and a frequency range that covered the desired amateur band. Some commercial radios tune easily to the adjacent ham band but some do not. The commercial gear is usually two to three times as expensive as the amateur gear, and just as important, does not have the features and controls that ham operators expect. Usually, the commercial radios do not have a VFO and are completely channelized, typically changeable only with the required programming software.

The situation has changed dramatically in the past few years. Several wireless manufacturers in China (Wouxun, Baofeng, Anytone, etc.) have introduced low cost handheld transceivers into the US amateur market that are approved for Part 90 use. These radios offer keypad frequency entry and all of the usual features of a ham radio. It seems that these radios are a viable option for dual use: public safety and amateur radio, with some caveats.

New radios are being introduced frequently, so I won’t try to list them here. However, you might want to do a search on Wouxun, Baofeng and Anytone for the latest models. I will highlight the Anytone NSTIG-8R radio which I have been using. It seems to be a well-designed but still affordable (<$75) handheld radio. See the review by PD0AC.

Some Things to Consider When Buying These Radios

The manufacturers offer several different radios under the same model number. Also, they are improving the radios every few months with firmware changes and feature updates. This causes confusion in the marketplace, so buy carefully.

Make sure the vendor selling the radio indicates that the radio is approved for Part 90 use. I have seen some radios show up in the US without an FCC Part 90 label.

Make sure the radio is specified to tune to the channels that you need.

The 2.5-kHz tuning step is required for some public safety channels. For example, a 5-kHz frequency step can be used to select frequencies such as 155.1600 MHz and 154.2650 MHz. However, a 2.5 kHz step size is needed to select frequencies such as 155.7525 MHz. There are a number of Public Safety Interoperability Channels that require the 2.5-kHz step (e.g., VCALL10 155.7525 MHz, VCALL11 151.1375 MHz, VFIRE24 154.2725). The best thing to do for public safety use is to get a radio that tunes the 2.5-kHz steps.

Many of these radios have two frequencies in the display, but only have one receiver, which scans back and forth between the two selected frequencies. This can be confusing when the radio locks onto a signal on one of the frequencies and ignores the other. Read the radio specifications carefully.


There are a number of reasonably good radios out there from various manufacturers. My favorite right now is the Anytone NSTIG-8R but I also like the Wouxun KG-UV6D. The Baofeng UV-5R continues to be popular in the amateur community as the low cost leader. However if you show up at an incident with the Baofeng, your fellow first responders will think it is a toy. Which leads to a really important point: the established commercial radio manufacturers such as Motorola, Vertex, etc. build very rugged radios. They are made for frequent, heavy use by people whose main job is putting out fires, rescuing people in trouble and dealing with criminals. These low cost radios from China are not in the same league. However, they can still serve in a less demanding physical environment while covering the Amateur Radio Service (FCC Part 97) and the Private Land Mobile Radio Services (FCC Part 90).

73, Bob K0NR


What does TRAFFIC mean?

I hear new Hams asking this all the time and I did not know as well. Traffic is just any coversation or talk in general terms., form one station(HAM) to another. Traffic on a Traffic net is usually a Radio Gram or some other form to pass information from one station to another or many. Traffic does not have to be formal as you can have normal traffic and formal rtraffice or emergency traffic whick always take prioity.

OSL information

  1. How do I send money to the Bureau?
  2. follow that link and there is more information on his web site!!



Hoew can I get in touch with the Repeater coordinator in Eastern WA?

Up dated infomation Dec 2016:


Manson, WA December 15, 2016

After many years acting as Coordinator of the Inland Amateur

Coordination Council (IACC), Doug Rider,KC7JC of Spokane, WA. resigned

as the Eastern Washington ~ Idaho Panhandle Amateur Radio Repeater

/Auxiliary station frequency coordinator due to continuing health

issues which would not allow his continued involvement. For several

years, Ken Rau, K7YR of Manson, WA. and Doug had been discussing this

transition. Due to Doug's worsening health issues, the transfer of

responsibilities was accomplished in late October 2016. All IACC

records have been transferred to Ken.

Currently, the IACC oversees nearly 300 Amateur Radio repeaters,

auxiliary, and repeater link stations in Eastern Washington and the

Idaho Panhandle. Approximately 25 applications, changes, and

modifications are handled each year by the IACC along with the

resolution of interference issues on occasion.

Ken, K7YR brings to the table many years of Amateur Radio repeater

experience. He uses "Radio Mobile", a quality radio propagation

evaluation program along with Google Earth as a tool for coordination

of systems which is instrumental in placing repeater systems with a

minimum of interference issues. He was involved with the Western

Washington Amateur Radio Association (WWARA) and held the office of

Vice President at one time. He is completely independent of any

repeater group, and is a member of the Chelan Radio Club in Eastern

Washington with four local VHF UHF coverage machines.

Special thanks and recognition should be given to Doug, KC7JC for his

decades of service to the Amateur Radio Community in Eastern Washington

and Northern Idaho.

The IACC Coordinator can be reached as follows:

Ken Rau K7YR

2200 Summit Blvd.

Manson, WA 98831

[email protected]

509 687 2211

Bao Feng


Can I disable the transmitter on Monitor Only frequencies?

Yes. This can be done using the CHIRP software.

Enter the desired receive frequency.

In the Duplex Field, select SPLIT

In the Offset Field, enter 0.0

000.000 will display when transmitter is keyed. No RF is generated.

The method shown is much simpler, but I preferr to put 1666.666650 in

the Offset Field. This is the value that would be in there if you

would download the channels from a radio that was programmed with the

Baofeng software and had the TX field blank. This works because with a

1.666666650 GHz offset, the TX frequency is out of range no matter

what RX frequency is programmed. It also results in the same behavior

as a channel programmed with a blank TX frequency using the Baofeng

software; a short beep is emitted when the PTT is depressed to let you

know that TX was inhibited.


Thanks again,John K3NXU

Still have questions? Feel free to Contact Us